Friday, July 10, 2009

At a snail's pace

One thing I've learned on my internship this summer is that slow days are to be dreaded.
Currently, I'm sitting at my desk having already pursued every lead for several stories that I can think of.  I've even looked through past papers to see if I can further milk another story by creatively thinking up a new angle. 

I start to sort through paper, gathering the ones that are blank on one side to staple them together to make notebooks.  Though right now, with nobody to interview and no one calling me back, these recycled notebooks are not all that useful.  

I resist the urge to check facebook yet again because I know nothing new or interesting will have happened in the last minute.  Then again perhaps someone has taken a "Which piece of stinky sports equipment are you?" quiz.

I consider having a nap, but realize that with no door on my shared office, this could be a hazardous decision.  I've attempted to hide behind my computer screen, head in hands and eyes closed, but all I ended up with were two red marks on either side of my chin where my hands had been.

I want to be productive. I don't want to just sit here wasting company time, staring at the phone, stapling paper together and hoping someone will call me. 

My saving grace is that at 10:30 a.m. the Catholic Women's League has asked me to come and take a picture of them presenting a cheque to the food bank.  Now I'm pondering how to take the classic "cheque presentation" picture from a new and creative angle.  How do I make it less posed? Less boring?  We have maybe eight cheque presentations from some group to another per month, and all the pictures are the same. Boring, boring, boring. 

22 minutes till I have to be there.  It takes about one and a half minutes to get there, making it about 20 minutes till I need to walk out the door.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather be weeding my garden (which I really detest doing) or having my teeth cleaned (not big on the dentist) than sit here for an agonizing day of time-killing and doing the "trying-to-stay-awake" head-bob. 

Thinking my iPod might be my salvation, I take it out, slip the earbuds in and realize that the battery is almost dead.  Shuffle seems to be mocking me because "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles (probably their most depressing song) has started to play.

And with that, the iPod has died... fabulous.  

Now, not only do I have song lyrics about a man blowing his brains out in my head, I have no sweet relief from the "at work" radio station that the person in the next office insists is "good most of the time!"  I'm sorry, but any station that consistently plays dated Backstreet Boys, Celine Dion and Wham songs is just not "good most of the time."

It occurs to me that I should ensure there is a memory card and fully charged battery in my camera before I leave.

If I've bored you to tears with this blog post, well... I just hope you didn't get this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk. I love hearing what others have to say, even if we don't agree. Just be nice. Thanks!