Tuesday, May 29, 2012

From the mouths of babes Pt. 2

I turned 26 today, which has caused me to look back at my life a little and congratulate myself for acheiving so many of the things I wanted to.  One of those things of course, is being a mom.  Sometimes it's crazy and I want to run away, or leave the kids on some nice lady's doorstep, but overall, the little fun moments that happen make all that go away. Today has been one of those days full of those little moments. What a great birthday present!

This morning, Patrick took his socks off. I'm not sure why he took them off, but there he was, standing next to me as I nursed Carter, complaining that his feet were cold.  So I asked him, "Where are your socks?"  and he says, "They're not on me."  Well, yes, obviously... so I laughed and he laughed because I was laughing. Then I said to him, "Well, where did you take them off?" asking about the location in the house that he took them off, but he said, "I took them off my feet mommy."  I laughed so hard that Carter decided it was too much to try and continue eating... he looked up and smiled at Patrick and I while we were laughing (though I'm sure Patrick had no idea what was funny) and it was a great moment.

Later, while Carter was sleeping, Patrick and I were reading Richard Scarry's Things That Go.  Patrick was very excited to identify fire trucks and choo-choo-trains and strange little cars like the carrot car and pickle truck and the two-seater crayon car.  Then he looks at me and says "I'm going to jump in that story, and get in that crayon car and drive and drive and drive to the colouring book!"  Another similar one is "I'm going to get in the story and get in that skid-steer-loader and DIG some DIRT!"  He says dig and dirt like it's hard work, while puffing out his little chest.  I just think it's funny that he thinks to say he needs to get in the story before he can do whatever task he sets his mind to. 

Patrick and Carter are both napping right now.  Normally, this is a time of relief for me.  A time where I can get my bearings (and the house in reasonable shape) or have a nap myself, but today I'm just filled with so much love for them that I kind of want them to wake up. 

Now... to go peer in at them sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk. I love hearing what others have to say, even if we don't agree. Just be nice. Thanks!