Friday, February 21, 2014

Seven Quick Takes: Vol. 20

More takes at Conversion Diary

ONE:

I changed the name of my blog.  It used to be "Just Stand There Then" because... well... I named it that after I had a bit of a rude and obnoxious moment in 2008.  I wanted to remember that moment and blog about it a bit, stating why it's a good title and what it says about me.  Long story short, it says NOTHING about who I am today.  I'm not rude. I'm not that girl anymore.

"Things I Won't Apologize For," is really the essence of this blog.  
Only the good and real stuff goes here.  It's what my life and my journey are all about.  I won't apologize for the things I write here - because they're my ramblings about becoming who I am, or who I will be. Make sense?

TWO

In less than 24 hours, my son's 4th Birthday party will begin.  Am I ready? Not in the least.

I got a start by making the kids pick up all their toys in the living room so that I could re-arrange it and make it more conducive to being an indoor race-track for our games tomorrow.  Then I stopped. Because it was 8 a.m. and the kids will likely need to play with toys at some point today and till the party starts tomorrow, so that was pointless. Not to mention making an indoor race track in the living room is just ridiculous. It's too much work for too little a space, and kids running around indoors on my slippery floor is just a hazard.

Welcome to sanity Jessica!

THREE:

My battle for birthday-party sanity continues....

Now, the kid in question REALLY wants a race car cake.  A strawberry-flavored race car cake.
I love a cake challenge, and I'm sure I can make a cake shaped like a race car.  But I'm nursing a baby for half the day, and the other half of the day is to be filled with other essentials, like getting making for the other kids and dealing with their bathroom issues.  I don't have the extra 3 hours.

So plan B: It may just be a sheet cake with a couple of his own (washed) race cars on top and a cocoa-race track.  I kind of like making cakes though, so I might out-do that idea and realize half-way through that I've bitten off more than I can chew. I did that last year, staying up till midnight making a Thomas the Tank Engine cake.  I also did it for two friend's baby showers (Peter Rabbit out of homemade fondant, and rose cupcakes)

I keep trying to remember that overwhelmed feeling I had in the middle of the night, looking at my half-finished creations, and channel it so that I stick to the simplest thing.

FOUR:

It's 4 p.m. and I've done nothing to prep for tomorrow's party except spend way too much money on stuff for the party.

Oh, and taking the kids to the store, only to find my wallet was not with me (I'd left it in the stroller), and driving 15 minutes back home to get it took up a huge chunk of time.

THEN I completely caved at the dollar store and let the boys get these $4 toy back-hoes that I'm pretty sure will be broken tomorrow.  I did this because a. It was past nap-time by the time we got to the dollar store and they were tired, and less able to cope with me marching them back to the shelf to put them back, and b. I was at the checkout and just wanted to go home.

FIVE:

Confession. I hate icing. Hate... so if I make icing, it's usually cream cheese icing ($$$) or THIS light, lovely recipe, because I actually want to partake of the cake I'm making.

 SIX:

I love getting snail mail, and apparently Patrick thinks it is the cat's meow too:
He was so excited to get a card from his Godparents that I had to take a picture.



SEVEN:

I really can't believe Lent is so soon.
But usually this girl just realizes it's Lent ON Ash Wednesday, so I'm doing well this year to be thinking about it.

I'm mulling over a fast and an addition this lent, but tell me, is fasting specifically for weight loss, and adding exercise, which will really just benefit me in the end, a true Lenten sacrifice?

Here's the thing - I have never been thin and I've always struggled to shed pounds. I'm also a huge comfort eater. So stress (like, I don't know, pregnancy, having a baby, being up at night with nursing and toddler needs) tells me to eat things like chocolate and croissants (and chocolate croissants mmmm) and get the 2% latte with whipped... you get the idea.

I caught my reflection in the church bathroom mirror the other day though and thought, not that I'm ugly, because I don't think that, really, but that I just don't look healthy.

I know health is something I should look after anyway, but I feel like making it a Lenten promise, and adding God in the mix with a prayerful approach will help a lot. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I think looking after your health, especially when adding God in the mix with a prayerful approach is a great way to better yourself through Lent! God gave us our bodies, and I believe it's our responsibility to take care of them. The way I look at Lenten Sacrifices/Additions is that they're meant to help us draw closer to God, the Church, and others by making us better people. If you do this for Lent, and continue afterwards, it makes you a better person...make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite birthday party story: As I was stressing out and raising my voice and being impatient in general, one of the five year old party guests came up to me and said,"Parties are supposed to be fun". Now that to me is more memorable than the Bert and Ernie cake or the expensive radio control car or even the kites we made to run around the back yard.....it's supposed to be fun and I'll add, "less is more"....survivial tips from "I wish I knew then what I know now"

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk. I love hearing what others have to say, even if we don't agree. Just be nice. Thanks!