Friday, November 21, 2014

Seven Quick Takes: Vol. 25

Linking up with Kelly today. Go on over to find other more interesting bloggers.

ONE:
We are sick. Or, I should say, we are still sick, because we haven't been all well at the same time since September.  Which happens to coincide with the beginning of Patrick's attendance of preschool.

It may be universally acknowledged that a child who enters pre-school must be ready to recieve all the germs... 

But here I must rant, because a full two and a half months of alternating colds and flu despite my hypervigilance about healthy food, exercise, enough rest, getting the flu shot, and pumping the family full of vitamins and probiotics is ridiculous. 

And I fully blame the unenforced rule that sick kids must be symptom free for 24 hours before returning to school. 

"Okay honey, just cover your mouth and don't cough on the other kids! Byyeee!" Says "always-has-a-fresh-manicure" to her snot-nosed four-year-old (aka human Petri dish of virus), then ducks her head and runs out the door. Because clearly her 2.5 hours kid-free is way more important than the health of the other kids and their families. 

Ok so that was judgemental, but I know gel nails when I see 'em.

I just got an email today though that the teachers will be sending home children with symptoms of illness from now on, due to other parent's concerns over seeing sick kids in attendance... 
We'll see how that goes.
End rant.

TWO:

Despite all the illness, Patrick is loving preschool.
Ever the extrovert, he says his favourite thing about it is, "All the kids to talk to."

The benefit for me is that I get to hang out with Carter - which means that I drink coffee, read books and let my introverted child play by himself while the baby naps.
I thought Carter would suffer a bit without Patrick around, but I was wrong, thankfully. Carter likes time without Patrick as "director of the fun" and it's cool to see him grow more independent. And it's blissfully quiet for an hour+!

THREE:

During that quiet morning time I've been reading for an hour or so while I put the baby down and then while Carter is playing and doesn't need me. In September I revisited the Anne of Green Gables series for the first time since high school. 

I think I'll write a whole post about it, but upon rereading, I saw just how much my own growth and maturity as a married, university-educated mom cast a different light on the Anne stories.

In my teens I was preoccupied with the romance of Anne and Gilbert, and all like, "Come onnn! Realize that Gilbert loves you and punch Christine Stuart in the face!"

This time I had a new appreciation for the reality and depth L.M. Montgomery wrote into her characters.

FOUR:

My newfound love for Anne added to my enjoyment to Christy and Haley's podcast Fountains of Carrots. 

If you're doing dishes or laundry and wish you could sit down for coffee with two of your besties and talk about Austen and Anne, go have a listen. 

FIVE:

Carter turned 3 on the 11th of November. So we had an actual party for him. It was in the evening and we had all the kids come for a pyjama party.
We had super simple decorations: what you see below plus some helium balloons in the middle of the table - I'm going to hang this bunting in the baby's room, so it's going to serve another purpose! 
I even cut out little felt pjs and hung them on some yarn with mini clothespins, but that got destroyed before I could get a photo.


So kids arrived in pjs, we ate "breakfast" for dinner; Sausage, pancakes, bacon and eggs, all cooked by Joseph, and a big ol' pile of grapes, at Carter's request. 
We decorated mini vanilla chamomile tea cupcakes (which saved me decorating a cake), read a story (Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site) sang some songs (5 Little Monkeys and Twinkle, Twinkle), then Joseph sang the kids a Carter fave, Cowboy Donkey, and that was that.  Carter really loved it.



SIX:
Advent is fast-approaching, and I'm actually prepared.  I've gotten most of the Christmas shopping done, and have a little plan in my head for some prayer activities each day with the kids, and the very best thing, I was able to order Jesse Tree ornaments from two local moms. I'll be Instagramming our advent adventures at jjcyr, so follow along if you like.

SEVEN:
I have the gift of being able to get all boys to nap at the same time, so since I am under the weather myself, I'm going to indulge in some quality time in my bed with Netflix till I fall asleep. #sickdaywin 

Have a lovely weekend!



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear your excited about the Jesse tree!!! Just the motivation I need to sit down and stitch 30 more king David crowns!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk. I love hearing what others have to say, even if we don't agree. Just be nice. Thanks!